The project is divided into a series of activities intended to promote and develop international cooperation for preservation of the world's natural and cultural heritage, making the best use of skills and the involvement of local institutions and of the population in the process of preservation. Study of current and future relationships between the cultural heritage and the surrounding territorial context may reveal numerous methods of integration between the various levels of architectural preservation (internal, of the buildings themselves, of the territorial area).
The Chair promotes the World Heritage by education in architecture and planning, and by research, while at the same time making the population aware of the importance of management of cultural heritage which is both technically competent and effective, as well as of the advantages deriving from the contextual interpretation and preservation of the cultural heritage in the urban territory.
The activities of the UNESCO Chair Project in Mantova are organised in three areas closely related to each other:
- Start-up of innovative research to support management of the Mantova and Sabbioneta UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- One visiting professor per year for the four years of the project.
- Assignment of two grants for two-year post-doctoral research.
- Master of Science in "Architectural, Design and History".
- Assignment of two-year scholarships to international students.
- Activation of internships in the UNESCO world heritage cities and sites.
- Summer School in Architecture.
PUBLICISATION AND MEDIA EXPOSURE
- International inaugural event.
- UNESCO Chair Open Lectures
- Working papers.
- Annual publication.